Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Ethical Dilemma Paper

We were given the opportunity to write about an ethical dilemma that had happened to us that we could discuss as a class. I wrote about a time I was approached twice by the same beggar:


Ethical Dilemma
Dan Miller
Section 2

            After approaching you begging for money once, the same woman is now returning, hand outstretched, asking for “just 2 or 3 dollars” in order to buy some food. You can see she is in need, and remember the command that we feed the hungry, that we are all beggars.
            Just returning from my last big vacation before I headed out from my mission I ran into a similar situation. Full of “greenie” fire, I was travelling home to Washington DC from New York City. The trip was a quick one, just a weekend, but included visiting my friends ward for church on Sunday and hearing the announcement of the Manhattan temple, a huge blessing for the members in the area.
            I had taken the cheapest form of transportation available to me, the greyhound bus. Besides having a low fare, this mode of transportation allowed me time to think about my upcoming assignment to the Colorado Springs mission. Both directions gave me the opportunity to discuss my feelings toward the gospel with fellow passengers. On the first leg I read through the first discussion with the person sitting next to me, and on the Sunday return a neighboring lady asked if I was a Mormon, basing her comment on the tie I was wearing and the Sprite in my hand (apparently only Mormons drink Sprite.)
            This bus ride also gave me the opportunity to study. I specifically read through King Benjamin’s address in Mosiah, paying special attention to the direction he gives concerning those we describe as beggars:
16 Ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.
 17 Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—
 18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this, the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.
 19 For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have?
--Mosiah 4:16-19

            As I stepped off the bus at our destination, those verses still visible in my mind, a beggar woman approached me, hand outstretched, asking for “2 or 3 dollars” so she could buy some food.
            Clearly, King Benjamin’s lesson was standing right there in front of me. This was not even a choice. I pulled out my wallet and handed the lady a few dollars, to the disgust of everyone watching. Smiling I sat down on my bag and waited for my ride.
            Then, after waiting for half an hour for my ride, this same woman approaches. I’m sure she didn’t recognize me, because again, her hand was outstretched, and again the same request came: “2 or 3 dollars” so she could buy some food. Clearly this woman had “brought this misery upon herself,” right? Can’t I just ignore her like everyone else at the bus stop? What would you do?

No comments: